Museum logo
Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number HL042
Title Haverford New Mill
Description Haverford New Mill

The Haverford New Mill was founded upon the land that was of the original grant to Joseph Hayes.

June 14, 1698, Richard Hayes Jr. came in possession of one hundred and sixty acres of land, of which Darby creek formed the western Boundary. This land was obtained either by conveyance or by will of Joseph or Richard Hayes Sr.

In 1707 Richard Hayes Jr., David Morris and Samuel Lewis formed a partnership and erected a grist mill which became known as the "Haverford New Mill" to distinguish it from an older mill, also known as the Haverford Mills. (along Cobbs Creek)
Richard Hayes, Jr. operated this mill until his death in 1738.
Maris Worrell was in possession of this property, as well as a saw mill that had been erected thereon in 1802 and for the following 18 years. At his death the property was willed to his son, Elisha Worrell, who leased the premises to Thomas Steel. Mary, Elisha Worrell's daughter married Joseph Leedom, who became manager of the Haverford New Mill in 1830, and upon the death of Elisha Worrell, the property was devised by his will to Mary Leedom in the possession of Joseph Leedom. A new mill was erected in 1832 and became known as Leedom's Mill. A deed of trust was executed by Joseph Leedom and Mary, his wife, to Dr. George Smith under the terms of the will of Joseph Leedom for the operation of the dower rights of Mary Leedom and the rights of his son, Maris Worrell Leedom, (Joseph Leedom never possessed any thing more than courtesy rights as husband in the in the Haverford New Mill)
The will of Mary Worrell Leedom, legatee of Elisha Worrell, vitiates the deed of trust to Dr. George Smith and bequeaths the mill to Maris W. Leedom. Executed instruments by other members of the Leedom family confirm the premises unto Maris W. Leedom as absolute in fee simple 1875.
In 1883, Maris W. Leedom died, intestate and his estate devolved to his widow and children under the Intestate Laws of Pennsylvania. John Leedom and Joseph Leedom Administrators of the estate of Maris W. Leedom, conveyed the premises by deed, dated Dec. 15, 1890, to B. Hayes Anderson husband of Elvira Leedom.
B. Hayes Anderson sold the mill property and the property with the dam and mill race to the Springfield Water Company under the name of the People's Water Company.
The Springfield Water Company sold the mill property to Robert A, Johnson on July 15, 1920.
The Springfield Water Co. sold the property with the dam and mill race to John H. Friel.
Johnson sold the mill property to Charles Weissinger on January 18, 1924,
Charles Weissinger conveyed the mill property to its present owner Edward Savage Company on October 25, 1932.
John Friel sold the property with the dam and mill race to the Township of Haverford in Sept.1930.
The heirs of B. Hayes Anderson still hold title to the old house across the road from the site of the mill.
Original Object Format Research Notes
Collection Lucas, Hilda
People Hayes, Joseph
Hayes, Richard
Morris, David
Lewis, Samuel
Worrell, Maris
Steel, Thomas
Leedom, Joseph
Smith, George Dr.
Leedom, Maris
Weissinger, Charles
Friel, John H.
Subjects Haverford New Mill
mills
darby Creek
cobbs creek
saw mill
Search Terms Haverford New Mill
mills
darby Creek
cobbs creek
saw mill
springfield water
people's water