|Title||Ellis Fulling Mill|
Ellis Fulling Mill
This mill was located on the north side of West Chester Pike at Darby Creek. It was erected on ground purchased by Humphrey Ellis in 1694.
Through a series of bequests in descendency, Humphrey Ellis a descendent came into possession in 1741. Ellis retained possession until 1790, after which time the mill came into possession of the Lawrence family. Henry Lawrence erected a newer mill about 1801 and William Lawrence erected a grist mill in 1832. These mills have been in possession of the Lawrence family ever since. They were once leased by Leedom and sons. While Leedom operated them the Adele Post Office was located in a part of one of the mills. This post office was named after the daughter of John B. Robinson who was a distinguished lawyer and state senator, his daughter; Adele married a man by the name of Miller. The Smith's saw mill of today is a survivor of these mills.
|Original Object Format||Research Notes|