|Title||Spread Eagle Tavern|
William Bittle's application for a license was granted in 1814 to operate a tavern where the road leading from Norristown to Chester crosses the West Chester Road. The Tavern was called the Spread Eagle Tavern.
William Bittle was succeeded by Robert Dunn in 1827, in 1829 the license was issued to his widow Susannah Dunn, in 1830 Lewis Bennett was landlord and in 1831, Wm. Bittle again , in 1832 J S Atkinson held the license and in 1834 John Williams, 1836 David Quinn, 1838 Andrew Steel, in 1841 William Bittle again. In 1850 James P. Afflick made application for a license but was opposed by several citizens, but the court granted the license anyway. Wm. Johnson had the tavern in 1859, in 1861 Benjamin Kirk, in 1865 John M. Afflick, in 1867 Wm. Thompson, in 1869 Washington Bishop until local option did away with the license, after the repeal of that law Roland J. Pugh in 1875 had the tavern, later the same year his brother Nelson Pugh, in 1876 Leedom Kirk, 1879 James A Severson, in 1881. Joseph Delvegre in 1884 has widow operated the place when it was the only licensed place in the Township, she was followed by William Kirk and Bertmiller.
Adjoining the Inn was a race track. It appears that the conjecture about this track has over emphasized the importance. The so called race track was attached to the Eagle Hotel in the category of a Horse Mart. During horse shows held three times a year. The track was used to display the qualities of the animals and for their exercise. Whatever sporting events took place occurred during those sales. The track was used continuously until 1900. It was a half mile stretch lying in the rear of the hotel. In 1890 a part of the track was sold to the
Odd Fellows upon which they built their existing Hall.
Roland Pugh, one time operator of the Eagle Hotel was considered a ne're do well and drunkard. Making a mess of the management, his brother Nelson Pugh, a blacksmith took over the management.
William Kirk, one of the last operators lost his privilege and erected the Manoa Inn in a pique, in 1911 when the Eagle was destroyed by fire.
|Original Object Format||Research Notes|
Afflick, John M.
Severson, James A
Business & Commerce